Disclaimer

  • This blog does not necessarily represent the views/opinions of Peace Corps and is only a sharing of my personal experiences.

Sunday, August 24, 2014

IST


The first two weeks of August I was in Addis Ababa for in-service training (IST).  It had been three months since I had seen majority of my group and it was so great to see everyone.  Being a Peace Corps volunteer, you learn how much you need to rely on other volunteers for support and encouragement because they really are the only ones who truly know and understand what you are going through.

Week one was full of trainings that consisted of how to report our projects, writing grants, as well as other various sessions focusing on more technical trainings.  At the end of the week the Ag/Environment volunteers got to go on a fieldtrip and have a two-day session on bee keeping (which sounds so cool and I am a bit jealous).  But all of us health volunteers got to visit a nearby hospital in Addis.  The reason for going was to learn the techniques used to weigh babies in Ethiopia.  What stuck out to me the most was how nice the hospital is.  It felt like I was in a hospital in America.  It amazed me to find how nice some Ethiopian hospitals are.  I learned that this particular hospital actually receives funds from the states (which I feel is good and bad).  It is great that the U.S. is willing to fund the construction as well as continued funding after construction of the hospital, but I think it is also extremely important that this hospital can reach a point in which it is sustainable and not longer needs the additional funds and support from the states.

Week two the counterparts arrived.  Each volunteer had a counterpart come from his or her town and go through project design management training together.  The idea of the training was to help volunteers and counterparts to work together and start getting ideas of how to start up and work on projects together.  This specific training lasted two full days.  In some ways, I felt like this training was extremely helpful.  But it felt very long, which I know was a bit of a struggle for at least some people.  Other trainings that week focused nutrition, permagarden, as well as soap and salve making.  I know that these sessions were more enjoyable for many.  This week also consisted of doing things outside of trainings and spending more time with other G10 volunteers.  Of course getting ferenji (foreigner) food every night for dinner was a must.  A few of us also got our hair cut and went to a movie theater to see some recently released movies.

Despite how long sessions seemed to be some days, it was a great two weeks.  The sessions were interesting and extremely helpful in giving us more of a direction in regards to starting up projects.  We got to hang out with friends we had not seen in three months, got to relax, and take care of things we could only do in Addis.  Despite how much I like my site, I am extremely grateful for the times in which I am able to see so many of my friends in one place all together.

G10 at end of IST
Bole area of Addis during the sunset

No comments:

Post a Comment