Disclaimer

  • This blog does not necessarily represent the views/opinions of Peace Corps and is only a sharing of my personal experiences.

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Lots of Laundry!


One thing that I have learned since coming to Ethiopia is that the only way to do laundry is by hand.  Washing machines and driers don’t exist (except maybe in bigger towns and Addis Ababa).  I am so used to using a washer and drier that it was a bit of an adjustment to have to switch to washing my clothes by hand.  It is more work and it seems like I have so much more dirty laundry than I had in the states (even though I often wear the same outfit multiple days in a row) because it is so much more work.

Generally, I try not to do laundry more than about once every two weeks (though sometimes I feel like I need to do it more often because the pill builds up pretty fast).  It can be a pain at times to do laundry sometimes.  Sometimes there just doesn’t seem like there is enough time to do laundry.  It is also a pain to do laundry during the rainy season because it takes forever for the clothes to dry.

Despite how much I may complain about doing laundry, there are definitely times when I enjoy doing it.  It can be a great feeling knowing that you have gotten all of your dirty clothes cleaned (and by hand).  I feel like it can also be really therapeutic.  When I get back to the states, I will definitely have a new appreciation for washers and driers.  Well, that’s really all I have to say in regards to laundry.  Thanks for reading and the continued support!

*Take a look at the pictures below to get an idea of what it looks like to do laundry in Ethiopia!


No comments:

Post a Comment