Disclaimer

  • This blog does not necessarily represent the views/opinions of Peace Corps and is only a sharing of my personal experiences.

Friday, September 26, 2014

Family and Support in Different Forms



I have had enough experiences in my almost twenty-four years to realize that family can come in different shapes, sizes, and forms.  I have come to find myself a part of many different kinds of family.  There is my immediate family, extended family, my youth group/church family, and the family that includes my friends who I can always count on.  Recently, I have found myself part of a new family.  This would be my Peace Corps family.

Despite all of the support and encouragement I have received from all of you in the states (which I am extremely grateful for), being a Peace Corps volunteer (PCV) is a unique experience that only other PCVs could ever truly understand.  And really, each PCV has a very different experience from any other PCV based on country of service, sector, town, language, projects, and countless other factors.  Even so, as PCVs, we face similar struggles as well as gain similar accomplishments that only other fellow volunteers can fully understand.  With that being said, not only is the support from all of you back in the states important, but also the support received from PCVs because of the shared experiences and understanding that we have for each other and what each of us is going through.

In the six months that I have been in Ethiopia, I have learned so much about myself as an individual as well as a PCV.   I have also learned how important it is to take advantage of the support system that is available to me within the Peace Corps community.  No matter what I may be struggling with or what accomplishment I want to share with someone, there will always be someone who understanding.  And of course there are countless people back in the states who will always be there for me to talk and vent to whether or not they can relate to what I am going through.  I am so grateful to every single person back in the states as well as in Ethiopia whom I have found I can rely on and whom I know will always cheer me on
.

I was reminded of how much I rely on the support of those just within my group of volunteers (G10; those of us who all arrive in Ethiopia this past February).  I was able to see those who I have become really good friends with after three months of only talking and texting via phone.  It is amazing to me to think about the friends I have made thus far and how I likely would have never met these people if not for Peace Corps.  Many of these people will be lifelong friends.   


I had no idea in February that even though I had to say goodbye to my family in the states for two years, I would be getting a Peace Corps family.  Some of my friends here definitely remind me of many back in the states.  At times, it may just be a small little characteristic that stands out that is similar or something someone says.  For example, I left my two younger brothers back in the states that love to tease me. Upon arriving in Ethiopia I have gotten to know two guys in my group who love to tease me and are like two older brothers to me.  In all honesty, I really don’t mind the teasing because it is such a normal thing to me and it brings some normality to my life.  Some of the girls I have become close with are like sisters to me and I can talk to them about anything.  I am thankful for those friends who live close to me because I can see them on a more regular basis.  I am also thankful for those friends who live further away because it gives me more incentive to travel around the country and see different sites and how they vary.

I couldn’t imagine what my service would be like without all the support I have received from all of you in the states as well as all of you in Ethiopia.  The support from the states means so much to me and continually reminds me that I am in the right place.  The support that I receive from many other PCVs in invaluable and appreciated so much because they are all going through a similar if not the same experience as me and can sympathize with almost any situation.  Needless to say, this experience would not be what it is without all of the support I have received and it would be a struggle without the various forms that this support has come in.  I can also say that at this point, all of the support has come from my family.  It may be my biological family, family made up of friends from growing up, high school, college, or my Peace Corps family.  The support from my different families has come in different forms, but without the support form each of these families, I would not be able to get through this experience and be successful.
 
*A few examples of my different families are shown below.



No comments:

Post a Comment