Disclaimer

  • This blog does not necessarily represent the views/opinions of Peace Corps and is only a sharing of my personal experiences.

Sunday, July 13, 2014

CNA Months


My first three months at site have been dedicated to getting to know the community and working on a community needs assessment (CNA).  I have slowly but surely setting into my new home here and have slowly gotten to know the community.  What I have loved about these first few months is that I have been able to take the time to slowly get used to my surroundings and settle in.

Since arriving in country, I have learned a great deal about the language, culture, etc.  Not only have a learned about the country, but I have learned about myself as well.  I have learned how flexible and patient I must be.  There are moments that are very frustrating, but I have learned that I must be willing to let things go.  Dealing with all that comes with living in a different country as a minority, I have really began learning what my limits are and how far I can stretch myself. 

I have come to find how amazing it is how much living in a different country for an extended amount of time can have an impact on a person.  It is quite something to realize how much a person can adjust to their surroundings as necessary.  I remember how daunting everything was when I first arrived in Ethiopia from going to a store to purchase something to having to deal with transportation.  Now, such things don’t seem to be such a big deal.

Things that I still continue to struggle with are the language, harassment, and finding ways in which I can help to benefit the community.  From other volunteers, I have heard such things will become easier with time.  I am still in my first few months of service and have much to learn still about Ethiopia, the culture, and myself.  I hope that the next two years will be a time of major growth for me. 

For those who are great with reflective, deep questions, please feel free to ask them.  It gives me the opportunity to reflect and process.  It will allow me to see how I have and will continue to grow during my time of service in Ethiopia.  I also promise to write blog posts about my reflections if given good questions to reflect on!

::::Applications:Microsoft Office 2008:Office:Media:Clipart:Clip Art.localized:j0232110.pict

No comments:

Post a Comment