Disclaimer

  • This blog does not necessarily represent the views/opinions of Peace Corps and is only a sharing of my personal experiences.

Sunday, July 13, 2014

Suffering Silently


A phrase that most of us Peace Corps Ethiopia volunteers have become familiar with is “Don’t suffer silently.”  It is a phrase that our country director has said time and time again.  I have realized, especially since moving to site, that it can be extremely easy at times to shut myself off from others.  This happens if I am feeling sick, lonely, etc.  This is why we are so often told not to suffer silently!  If we are feeling sick, call/text Peace Corps medical office!  Or if feeling lonely, call another volunteer.  I love having the option to call another volunteer if I am having an especially rough day for what can result from many different reasons.  Some days, even if there isn’t anything particularly negative happening, it can still be nice to hear a familiar voice.

            This past week, I have had a handful of ups and downs.  I got to a point where I needed to talk to people, so preceded to have phone conversations with a few people.  It is amazing what an actual conversation with someone on the phone can make a huge difference, even if they don’t know what’s going on and we don’t talk about it.  It is amazing the comfort one can get just from hearing another persons’ voice. 

            Considering that I am fairly introverted, I have always greatly valued having time to myself to reflect on things.  Since being in Ethiopia, I have valued having other people around so much more.  Being at site, I have a lot more time to myself (and much less time with other people that really understand me).  On one hand, it is good for me to have all this time to myself because I am and always be a bit of an introvert and need time to myself.  But I have realized how much I need others around as well and I have come to understand much more the importance of “not suffering silently.”


No comments:

Post a Comment