Disclaimer

  • This blog does not necessarily represent the views/opinions of Peace Corps and is only a sharing of my personal experiences.

Friday, May 1, 2015

Shybunna Break #1

The first question for my Shybunna break series:  Can you tell us a story about one of your shybunna breaks?  My shybunna breaks began first day of pre-service training (which also was my first day in Ethiopia).  My first shybunna break experiences took place twice a day every day during pre-service training; once in the morning and once in the afternoon.  These would often be half hour breaks in between sessions.  Depending on the sessions and where we were, sometimes Peace Corps would have shybunna provided for us and sometimes we were on our own to decide how to use that break time. 


Since moving to site, my shybunna breaks look a little different.  My schedule is much more flexible then it was during pre-service training and so shybunna breaks fall into my day usually when I feel like I need it the most.  When I attend a program or training, shybunna break is usually built into the schedule of said program/training.

One of my favorite shybunna breaks was when my parents came to visit me last January.  I have been teaching an English class for field workers at a local non-governmental organization twice a week.  My parents came with me to class on Tuesday and the women in the class decided that they wanted to do a full coffee ceremony for us during class the following Thursday. 

It was nice for me to experience the full coffee ceremony because I rarely get to see the full process.  It was also a very cool experience witnessing my parents experiencing an Ethiopian coffee ceremony for the first time.  The ceremony began with washing the coffee beans.  We watched as the girls roasted the beans, crushed them, and eventually made the coffee itself.  My mom and I even took turns roasting and crushing the coffee beans as well.

The women in my class were also nice enough to buy fandisha (popcorn) and pop it.  They also brought homemade bread.  Having both at coffee ceremonies are very common.  They even brought Gouder wine and soda to share.

Up to this point in my service, I think this is my favorite and most memorable shybunna break because not only was I able to experience and help with the full bunna ceremony, I was able to share the experience with my parents.  I got so much out of being able to share yet another part of my experience and culture with my parents during their visit.



*Please send more thoughts, questions, and ideas for future shybunna breaks (they are needed for this mini-series to continue)!!  Please and thank you!!

Cleaning the bunna beans


Roasting (more commonly done on a charcoal stove)





  




Making fandisha

Cutting bread

No comments:

Post a Comment