Disclaimer

  • This blog does not necessarily represent the views/opinions of Peace Corps and is only a sharing of my personal experiences.

Thursday, January 21, 2016

The Kids of my Community #BloggingAbroad

Blog Challenge Day #6

I interact with kids in my community on a daily basis.  If I were to leave my compound (house and surrounding wall and gate), it would be odd for me to go even a couple minutes without at least seeing one or two kids running around.  Sometimes I don’t even need to leave my compound because I will run into the seven year old who lives on the compound.




I wanted to take the opportunity to use this blog challenge to focus on talking about the youth in my community rather than one specific person because in some ways, the youth have had the largest impact on my Peace Corps experience.  The reason for this is because of all of the people I have worked with in my community, I feel felt the most successful with them.

During my two years of service, I have met with my set group of secondary school students with the occasional new students.  Whenever I have met with students, I have worked with them on their English skills and helping them to have a good (or at least better) understanding of what health is and the importance of good health and healthy habits.

I also had the opportunity to take two of my students to a camp during the summer of 2015 in which they learned a lot about things such as proper hand sanitation, proper nutrition and gardening, and sex education.  It was such a rewarding experience seeing the growth they had throughout that week. 

I was also able to do a project in my community with a large group of students teaching them about the importance of recycling.  For this particular project, we made what is called an Earth bench.  For this bench, we collected plastic bottles and trash throughout the community.  We filled the plastic bottles with the trash.  Then we got cement and then we put down a layer of bottles filled with trash and then a layer of cement.  Layer by layer, we did this until the bench was finished.  I loved that by the end of the project I was able to see the understanding the students had of the importance of recycling and the creative things you can do by reusing resources.




Then there is the seven year old who lives on my compound.  It has been amazing to see the growth in him over the past two years in his understanding of the world and even in his improvement in his English skills.



The kids and students are a majority of the people that have had the greatest impact on me throughout my Peace Corps experience.  Not only have I seen growth and improvement through so many of them throughout my two years in my community, they have also had a positive impact on me.  I have loved working with them because I see such great potential in so many of them.  With this potential, I can see the extremely positive impact on their country in the future.  I am so glad that I was able to work with the amazing students that I worked with and I am so excited to see what the future has in store for them.

#BloggingAbroad


No comments:

Post a Comment